If your website generates serious traffic, you should definitely consider managed WordPress hosting. Enter one of the most reputed and popular WordPress managed hosting solutions – WP Engine.
Why WP Engine and does it really make a difference?
Three reasons – site speed, scalability, and security. WP Engine’s environment is customized to provide the best performance, stability, functionality and security.
Google loses 20% of their traffic for each additional 100 milliseconds it takes a page to load. Google also incorporates your page-load time into your site’s search rankings. Faster sites win — literally.
WordPress can be slow, especially when you’re competing for hardware resources at a discount host, whether in a shared environment or “cloud” service. Many plugins and themes make it worse.
WP Engine makes it easy to speed up your site, increase your conversion rates, and improve your SEO.
Here is why:
- WPE uses EverCache technology to make sure that your website stays safe (and active) during traffic spikes.
- They also offer additional CDN on their Personal (beginner) plan for $19.95 USD. The more expensive plans have CDN included.
- WPE uses MaxCDN for their CDN – one of the leading CDN providers in the globe.
Security matters. Not only does a secure environment protect you from data loss or embarrassing hacker takeovers, properly secured sites are faster, since bogus traffic and requests aren’t eating up your resources. The WP Engine platform meets the demanding security requirements of even the world’s largest brands. From physical security at the datacenter to protection against sophisticated exploits and customer separation at the kernel level, we provide a highly-secure WordPress experience to every customer.
- WP Engine uses sFTP instead of traditional FTP. sFTP is basically FTP over a secure tunnel (SSH).
- Get the username/password wrong three times in a row and bam – your IP is blocked. You’ll have to get in touch with support to fix it!
- WPEngine takes daily redundant backups of your website – one is kept on their server and a full backup is stored in Amazon S3.
- Plus, if your site gets hacked, WP Engine will fix it for free.
- WP Engine manages all WordPress security patches and also provides a one-click core upgrade as well as the ability to defer until the next update.
WP Engine’s pricing structure is based upon your website’s monthly visits – starting at $29 USD for 25,000 visits/month.
If you’re on a shared hosting server or a VPS server, you risk is greatest. Shared hosts have little tolerance for websites that consume more resources than they are entitled to. Fortunately, when you’re on a managed hosting service like WP Engine, a surge in traffic wouldn’t cause any downtime although it might incur extra charges for that particular month because of the additional resources required. Managed hosting is one of your top choices when it comes to dealing with the possibility of an unexpected traffic surge, WP Engine does not place restrictions on your website caused by traffic spikes or unusual events– they simply serve the page requests as normal – quickly and efficiently.
WP Engine Features overview:
- Premium managed WordPress hosting – Extremely reliable and fast hosting; user satisfaction in server performance guaranteed since 2011. And, not to mention that WP Engine’s uptime is backed by SLA – you get refunds if the host is not serving you enough uptime.
- Worry-free – Daily backup and malware scan. Plus, they will fix everything if your site is hacked.
- Cost efficient / cheap – Yes, WP Engine is in fact cheap if you factor in the features that were built directly into the hosting. For examples – VaultPress costs $29/mo, Blog Vault Plus costs $19/mo, Sucuri (for Malware scanning) charges $16.66/mo for one site, MaxCDN costs $15/mo (free MaxCDN if you go with WP Engine Professional Plan and above) – you can forget about all these add-on costs if you go with WP Engine.
- Staging Sites – A staging site is like a playground for your blog. The feature allows you to test stuffs, find bugs, and redesign your site without jeopardizing your current site operation.
- LargeFS – A feature where you can sync all your files with a nominated Amazon S3 bucket so theoretically you have unlimited storage for your site.
- Evercache – WP Engine’s in-house caching technology for massive scalability and speed.
- 1 –click Restore – Forget about cron. WP Engine supports instant backup plus 1-click restore with easy Snapshot Backups.
- The WP Engine Combined Dashboard gives you a bird’s eye view of the WP Engine’s capabilities– clearing the database cache, CDN control, user role permissions, error logs, and some other advanced configuration.
- The User Portal allows you to view and manage (add/delete) users in your WP Engine account. It’s clean, easy and gives the stuff you need to work in a collaborative project.
- The Installation manager is another great tool that lets you add/manage multiple WordPress installations and configure advanced options for each of them.
High up-times, massive scalability and bulletproof security, best-in-class customer service and many WordPress-friendly features make WP Engine worthy of hosting your WordPress site.